Today on episode 44 of the Cloud Stories podcast I’m talking with Jacqui Jones the founder of Way We Do, a cloud based standard operating procedures platform. Although Jacqui’s career started in film and TV, she accidently fell into the Internet industry right at the beginning of the Web with Netscape Navigator 1.2. She moved from Brisbane to Auckland for a 6 month contract, which turned into 14 years.
Her career has spanned a range of Internet specific roles including digital product management at APN, Head of Digital Product at Yellow NZ, Marketing Manager and SEO Consultant at Netconcepts (NZ & US), Communications Manager at The Electronic Commerce Network (ECN), owner of web development agency Webenz, and Product Manager at MessageMedia, a subsidiary of NZ Post.
Way We Do is a cloud based standard operating procedures software, enabling businesses to create electronic work instructions, such as policies, procedures and checklists, so teams won’t forget simple or complex tasks when they do their day to day work.
Business owners implement Way We Do primarily for productivity and compliance purposes.
Subscribers currently come from 9 countries, ranging from small businesses with a handful number of team members to large enterprises with thousands of employees.
Way We Do is used by a variety of industries including accounting firms, bookkeepers, professional services, retail, trade, medical, manufacturing, technology and many more.
Subscribe to Episode 44 of Cloud Stories on iTunes:
In this episode I talk to Jacqui about:
- Dan and Jacqui started ‘Way We Do’ after starting a business called Key Word Intent – a software and internet marketing business. They participated in the Business Mastery –Turn Key program at the National College of Business in 2012. Discovered they and other businesses were struggling with the tools they were using to document their business. So they decided to create a solution to solve this problem.
- Jacqui discusses how customers affected their brand evolution which currently includes old planes and emblems.
- Jacqui likes inventors, curious people and problem solvers.
- Jacqui uses Xero, ZenDesk and CapsuleCRM though may replace Capsule with Hubspot, in their own business.
- Discussion about online note taking solutions – I use iAWriter. Jacqui trialled Evernote.
- Why should businesses systemise and document their policies and procedures?
- To scale up you need to document policies and procedures so your staff know what to do and you deliver quality and consistently.
- Procedures can free up a business, so you can run the business without being in there. Plus they have a business they can sell, license or franchise.
- Keep refining and improving processes
- Coaches recommend running a business like a franchise.
- You should start systemising business from day one, especially if you hope to employ people, and scale up.
- Implementing procedures can cut out a layer of waste in the business.
- Anyone in the organisation can document policies and procedures: subject matter expert, business owner, or pair people with writers to extract. Hire specialist technical writers.
- Start on one part of the business first – Jacqui suggests tackling the biggest problem area first – so you get a few wins on the board. To create a positive feel about the process of implementing processes!
- WayWeDo prompts the team back to the solution to keep using the operations manual. This minimises inconsistency with brand experience.
- WayWeDo is built on an API so can connect with other solutions.
- Pitching to Venture Capitalist and raising capital for the right reasons.
- RiverPitch and lessons learnt.
- The WayWeDo incorporates images, video and audio and different learning styles – important for people who struggle with reading or learning difficulties. Aids with outsourcing and with non-English speakers.
- WayWeDo has a partner programme.
Today’s episode is sponsored by Spotlight Reporting.
Resources mentioned in this interview
- Xero https://www.xero.com/au/
- Evernote https://evernote.com/
- iaWriter https://ia.net/writer/ios/
- Capsule CRM https://capsulecrm.com/
- ZenDesk https://www.zendesk.com/
- Hubspot http://www.hubspot.com/
- Business Mastery –Turn Key program at the National College of Business
Connect with Jacqui
- Xero www.xero.com
- Website: www.waywedo.com
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/way-we-do/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/waywedo
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/waywedo
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/+Waywedo/